The accompanying magazine article said that the chair had been made by gluing on chipboard letters, then spray-painting it white. So I raided the scrapbooking sections of Lincraft and Spotlight for as many different letter styles as I could find. I had to make two return trips to get enough letters to cover both sides of the filing cabinet and two panels on the front of the drawers.
I glued the letters on with this super-strong glue I bought at Bunnings (which foamed rather disconcertingly as it dried, but bonded those suckers like cement). To get a smooth surface, I applied the glue to the wood with a wedge-shaped makeup sponge, then put the letters on.
When the glue had dried, I painted over the letters with White Knight laminate paint in "White". Since the letters were all different colours, and some had a shiny surface, it took four coats to get full coverage.
I took the metal handles off the drawers and filled in the holes I no longer needed with putty. Then I divided each drawer into two equal sections and left a space for the new knobs I intended to put on. Half of the drawer was done in letters and white paint, and the other I painted with White Knight laminate paint tinted to the Dulux colour "Pretty Maiden".
Even though parts of the drawers won't be visible once the hanging files are back in there, I still painted the sides and the interior. What can I say, I like to be thorough.
I spent a grand total of $8 on plain wooden knobs at Bunnings, which I covered with some Japanese fabric I'd picked up at Lincraft during one of my letter-buying sprees.
The second last thing I did was put the knobs on.
And the very last thing I did was refit the drawers.