Screen-printed patches11:42 pm - 11/08/2012
Today I screen-printed some patches. When I've done screen-printing before it's been with proper facilities, not on my dad's newspaper-covered kitchen table, with a cheap Speedball kit I got in the clearance sale, so I was a bit nervous. Preparing the screen and printing is a lot more fiddly when you don't have a light table, spray washer or anything to rest the print on except a piece of cardboard. I thought that I'd messed up my screen when I was rinsing the emulsion after exposing it, and the water suddenly turned hot. A small amount of emulsion did come off, but it was small enough to fix with some masking fluid.
The main problem was actually when it came to printing. The fabric ink that came with the set kept drying on the screen in seconds, and I had to wash it twice to stop the prints going faint. I had a fair few rejected patches that were too light or had a faint corner. These ones are for my friend to take for a stall she's doing on Sunday at a zine fair (I couldn't make it). I kept the artwork on the screen, so next week I'll get some better quality ink (probably in a different colour, I used blue because it's what I had) and print lots more for all my friends that wanted one.